Our Display Cases and UV Resistance

In 2015 we manufactured our first Folding Display Cases. The quality was excellent and we were very impressed with the UV Resistance of the PET Material compared to others available on the market. Due to the continued success of our Folding Display Cases, we expanded the range to over 850 different designs and have continued to use the same PET Material.

In 2021 we increased our range to include UV100 Acrylic Display Cases and UV100 Blister Display Cases. Due to popular demand from customers in countries that experience extremely high levels of UV (Australasia), 2022 sees the launch of the first ever UV100 Folding Display Cases across range.

Our display cases are designed to help you display and protect your cherished collectables. This means protecting them from the damage that handling, shelf wear, knocks or ultraviolet (UV) light can cause. From time to time customers ask us about UV resistance. So, we thought it would be helpful to share a short article on the subject.

While a large portion of the sun's rays are visible light, ultraviolet light outside the visible spectrum comes down alongside it and these UV rays can have damaging effects on your collectables if they come in contact with it, unobstructed, at the right angle. This harmful UV light comes down in three different levels of strength, based on the wavelength, known as short wave, medium wave, and long wave.

Short wave UVC light is very dangerous to humans, The ozone layer absorbs more than 99% of the suns rays. Medium wave UVB light reaches the outer layer of our skin. The ozone layer absorbs about 90%, leaving about 10% to cause sun burn and skin cancer. Long wave UVA light penetrates to the middle layer of our skin. The ozone absorbs about 50% leaving about 50% to cause skin tanning, premature ageing and wrinkling. The main difference between these three types of UV light is the wavelength, or the distance between the peaks of each wave in the ray, measured in nanometers (nm).

UVC has a wavelength of 200-280 nm. UVB has a wavelength of 280 nm to 315 nm. UVA has a wavelength of 315 to 400 nm. The rays that are most damaging to your collectables have a wavelength of 285 to 400 nanometers - UVA with some UVB (Windows block UVB). Even some indoor lighting emits small amounts of UV light, which over time can cause damage.

Many sellers of display cases will claim they block a certain percentage of ultraviolet (UV) light like 96% or 98%, which can be very misleading and can influence collectors into making uninformed decisions.

We use Light Meters to measure the Ultra Violet Rejection (UVR) to keep us informed of our own and other display cases on the market. The material we use provides resistance from some light wavelengths, but others, especially higher wavelengths could get through, depending on the conditions. That means most light wavelengths are blocked, but not all.

Deflector DC UV100 Material
UV100    Acrylic    UVR 99.7%     Acrylic Display Cases
UV100    PET        UVR 99.7%.    Blister Display Cases
UV100    PET        UVR 99.7%     Folding Display Cases (Q3 2022)

Although there’s a number percentage we think that it's not the most accurate way to explain it.

Our display cases are designed for indoor use and normal indoor lighting. The material we use is chosen for its composition, quality, strength and clarity. The display cases are perfect for display and protection from handling, shelf wear, knocks etc. They are not 100% effective in blocking all UV rays outdoors, direct sunlight through an unfiltered window or certain types of strong indoor lighting. 

Collectables on display should always be kept out of sunlight, at room temperature with stable relative humidity and low power lighting. Display Cases can add some extra protection to the precautions already taken as well as look amazing!

The vast majority of damage that occurs to collectables is due to relative humidity and heat. Nothing to do with UV light at all. High humidity causes mould, delimitation and warpage. Low humidity causes embrittlement and shrinkage. Paper/cardboard and plastics shrink/expand at different rates causing bubbles to loosen on carded figures. Significant fluctuations in temperature also degrades plastic, a chemical change causing yellowing that is common in figure bubbles.

We know 1000’s of collectors that don’t use any display cases, take all the necessary precautions and their cherished collectables are in perfect condition too! Don’t let all the talk of high UV resistance influence you into over spending, when you more than likely don’t need to.

If you want to do a little of your own reading on UV light, check out some general info on ultraviolet light on Wikipedia. We now hope you'll be able to make educated display case purchases.